Forza Sports Car Series Forums

HomeWEBSITESeries RulesCars To RaceFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Computing Needs/Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bradsz

PostSubject: Computing Needs/Help!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:06 am

As i know some of you guys are tech heads (good with computers etc...) i was just wondering whats the easiest way to find out how much power my pc components are using from my power source in my pc, the reasion i want to know this is because i was to install a fan onto the case of my pc but i dont know how much power i have spare/i can use...

if it helps, i have an Acer Aspire M1100
all parts are standard except for the ram (it has the original 2 x 512mb ddr2 & some new, 2 x 1gb ddr2)

also if there is anytips where to put fans as im originally thinking of just putting one on the side of the case where it slides off to get inside the pc and anymore tips on how to make pc faster or so without harm would be much appreciated aswell, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/bradsz27
Basticular

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 am

fans use a minscule ammount of power compared to the other components so I wouldnt worry about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:53 am

Basticle wrote:
fans use a minscule ammount of power compared to the other components so I wouldnt worry about it.

Like he said, if mounting a chassis fan won't do much in terms of power draw from the PSU, some of the best spots for mounting them would be either the front and the rear (if you have two), or mounting one in the rear end of the case so it draws the air from the front of the case. If you have 3 fans then you can start putting fans on the side of the case, best spot would be where the CPU is located. I wouldn't go any larger than 120mm if your case supports it.

I'm assuming that your using a 32 bit operating system so you can only use about 3.5 gigabytes of RAM, upgrading to ddr3 would make the system run faster, but they can be more expensive.

I searched for your model and it said that it had a 250 watt PSU, might want to get something with 350 to 500 watts if you might plan on getting a better GPU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

that helps aLOT! Smile
im not that good into building computers, i mean i just put new ram in here and thats the most i have ever done before lol!

my case only has 2 fans on the rear and the one that heatsink cpu, i dont think there is room to put one at the front as i think thats where the hard drives are, i was also thinking of putting another hard drive in there as i like to do videos and they take up stupid amounts of memory when they start stacking up so im wondering is that an easy process to do? (like similair to how the ram is done, basically plug and play)

if this helps i took a pic from inside:

sorry about the bad quality in the picture
Back to top Go down
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:31 pm

no probs, the only real issue is that if you need more computing power; you'll need a whole new system with a 64 bit OS if you need anything over 3.5 GB of RAM, a more current CPU and GPU plus a new motherboard with a different socket for the CPU.

I've got a rig set up for 3D modeling and gaming, you may not need this much power but it make things easier;

Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel i7 930 @2.8GHz, 12Gb RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTS 250, 1.5Tb Seagate 5900RPM HDD, 1Tb Seagate 7200RPM HDD, GA-X58A-UD3R ATX Motherboard, 650 Watt PSU
(I'm considering getting a professional GPU that can handle the 3D modeling/CAD programs)

Have had this setup for a little over a year now, plus it cost me just under $1,000 (not including the OS) and it has done wonders for renderings and video editing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 pm

well im thinking of upgrading in the future, just not anytime soon, i just want to do a fe little things to it atm but thats alot of help, only things i want to do so far is LED's with LED fans and im thinking of a 500gb hard drive, im prety sure that will be fine for me for a very long time, unless i start playing games, i dont really play games on my pc, but i am thinking of getting sims 3 and some expansions if i get bored...

also would just replacing the fan on the heatsink do much difference, as i think an LED fan on that would look cool Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Brad, dont listen to what anyone above me said, they are all clueless.

This my friend, is the solution to your problem.

Back to top Go down
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 am

Chenstrap wrote:
Brad, dont listen to what anyone above me said, they are all clueless.

This my friend, is the solution to your problem.

LOL that was my solution before I got a new case

Brad: replacing the fan will lower the temps for the CPU but it won't run any faster
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 pm

im not worrying about it running faster atm, thats for the long future but im just want a reliable computer as i want to keep this for a long while and just keep adding or upgrading parts on this is what i think i shall be doing, so for now its reliability, i know a fan wont make much difference but i want my computer looking cool, well i just want LED's and LED fans... now how do i fit them scratch
Back to top Go down
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm

They are usually the 4 pin power connectors like the ones on the older CD & DVD drives
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:14 pm

well i think ill buy some like next week, wondering wha colour to go for, i like blue but most people have that, red looks cool but makes your computer feel like its overheating LOL i want something different hmm... think i may have red tbh, would i be able to get these LED's from computer shops (stores) or like hardware places im guessing
Back to top Go down
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:39 pm

also, what size fan is that on the back of my pc, does anybody know? its the one exposed on the back, i want to replace that with an LED fan...

also, does anybody know a car simulation game where you can mod cars to a huge extent or so on for pc, or any game alike that would be cool
Back to top Go down
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Bradsz wrote:
also, what size fan is that on the back of my pc, does anybody know? its the one exposed on the back, i want to replace that with an LED fan...

also, does anybody know a car simulation game where you can mod cars to a huge extent or so on for pc, or any game alike that would be cool

take a ruler and measure it in metric, I can't tell from that picture, looks to be about a 70mm fan but i'm not that confident in my guess

some sim games for the PC that I can think of would be Live for Speed, but I'm not sure if you can mod things though
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Bradsz wrote:

I know that with I Racing you create paint schemes by editing them in Photoshop and then uploading the texture to the game. Thats about it though.
Back to top Go down
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:48 pm

OLDFenderBender wrote:
Bradsz wrote:

take a ruler and measure it in metric, I can't tell from that picture, looks to be about a 70mm fan but i'm not that confident in my guess

some sim games for the PC that I can think of would be Live for Speed, but I'm not sure if you can mod things though

what way do i measure it? (sound like a noob i know) but do i measure circular or diagnol?
Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Bradsz wrote:
what way do i measure it? (sound like a noob i know) but do i measure circular or diagnol?

Should be top to bottom I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm

either top to bottom or side to side, you'll get some weird measurements if you do diagonals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradsz

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:24 pm

ok thanks Very Happy

now where did i put my ruler scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computing Needs/Help!   

Back to top Go down

Computing Needs/Help!