Forza Sports Car Series Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Sports Car Series Forums

HomeWEBSITESeries RulesCars To RaceLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

F1 Mechanic

Go down 
+2
KikRox268
Abramsmech17
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Abramsmech17

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm

hey guys so i have always had an attraction to racing and Ive watched some NASCAR, a little ALMS and i watched the F1 race last sunday in Austin, TX. and I can honestly say that i would love to try and be a mechanic on an F1 team. the only thing is, is I live in the US and have no idea where to look for any info or who to try and contact to get some info. i dont know if any of the guys from across the pond have any ideas or info for me but if anyone does please send it my way either by comment or PM. in case any one wants just a brief background im 23 i was in the Army as an Abrams tank mechanic(ie. the gamertag) and i am currently a student at UTI. i look forward to any help and/or advice i can get. thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
KikRox268

KikRox268

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Ask the UTI guys, they should be able to give you some info. I know my reps gave me some info on how to start my own race team for the PWC.
Back to top Go down
No1 Tommy Smurf

No1 Tommy Smurf

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 am

williams might be recruiting they popped up 1st when I googled it

http://www.williamsf1.com/corporate/recruitment/

but in general work in formula one is based in the UK because all the teams except Ferrari, Sauber and HRT are based in the UK
Back to top Go down
Blahzay xxl

Blahzay xxl

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 am

To make it to acutely be a mechanic in f1 i think you would have a better shot at being a coach on a nfl team.
But one of the racing series that is based over here,i would think threes a better chance.
Back to top Go down
SaintedPlacebo4

SaintedPlacebo4

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:33 am

Blahzay xxl wrote:
To make it to acutely be a mechanic in f1 i think you would have a better shot at being a coach on a nfl team.
But one of the racing series that is based over here,i would think threes a better chance.

32 Headcoaches + roughly 20 assistant coaches at least (times 32) I would think that the odds are almost the same xD. However you figure in car count, and how many people go into working on F1, LeMans, GrandAm, ALMS, DTM, NASCAR, Etc etc. then the odds arent quite as bad. I mean think of how many guys are in the garage for Audi at LeMans 30? 40? times 4 or 5 cars. if you work hard and keep options open that are near that level then its a decently large field to go into. However i heard the announcers say during this past 24 LeMan that many of the people that are the crew (for Audi) work for Audi and it is like a "weekend" job/hobby. The real money and expertise comes with being the head engineers. On the other hand, how many guys even think to have that kind of aspiration, go for it cheers
Back to top Go down
No1 Tommy Smurf

No1 Tommy Smurf

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:45 am

Ross Brawn said is the most interesting to you. Which he said qualifications is most important unfortunately but you also need experience for instance have you been working for a racing team, do you race yourself, do you restore cars in your spare time etc.

I would do what Blahzay and sainted are pretty much saying go for a series that has more employment opportunities gain experience by being part of small teams then build your way up

and build up your qualifications and hobbies that relate to motorsport does not matter if its racing go-karts or restoring a old car it will all go towards your future employment. I know this is the case because we are constantly told this at university that to get a job/placement we need to sell ourselves not just the qualifications.
Back to top Go down
Abramsmech17

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm

hey guys the info has been really helpful keep it coming. but i may have changed courses a little Im thinking of maybe just trying to stay in the states and be an ALMS mechanic. again any info will be very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Boostbeef

Boostbeef

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 4:56 pm

I have a friend of mine that currently works for an Indy car team. He started pretty much at the grassroots level and worked his way up. I know he worked for a Conti Series team for a while before and I believe an Imsa prototypes lites team.

Pretty much for a racing job in America you need to look around Moorseville/Charlotte, NC or around Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA). There are a few teams of course based out of Indy and Cali, but for the most part NC is race central USA.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

F1 Mechanic Empty
PostSubject: Re: F1 Mechanic   F1 Mechanic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

F1 Mechanic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forza Sports Car Series Forums :: General Chat-
Jump to: