Forza Sports Car Series Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Sports Car Series Forums

HomeWEBSITESeries RulesCars To RaceLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Wheel or controller?

Go down 
+5
Luongo27
o351
OLDFenderBender
Admin/PredatorUSMC
Sir Panbot
9 posters

Which control method do you use?
Wheel
Wheel or controller? I_vote_lcap55%Wheel or controller? I_vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
Controller
Wheel or controller? I_vote_lcap30%Wheel or controller? I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Magic!
Wheel or controller? I_vote_lcap15%Wheel or controller? I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

Wheel or controller? Empty
PostSubject: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:20 am

Hey, just wondered how many racers use a wheel for the series.

I used a controller for the few races I was in last season and managed to compete fairly well so this season I had planned to use my wheel instead now that I have space to do so.

The only problem is I am currently about 3 seconds off my normal pace with a controller and can only see me reducing this through practice by about 1 maybe 1.5 seconds at a stretch (2:07s as opposed to high/low 2:05/2:06 with controller). Is this about right for most people?

I'm using the olde Microsoft Wireless Wheel which from my experience isn't the best wheel so I'd gather those using a Fanatec would be quicker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 1:35 pm

The only way youll get quicker with the wheel is to practice using it. Youll be able to get those times with the wheel eventually.
Back to top Go down
Admin/PredatorUSMC
Admin
Admin/PredatorUSMC

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 1:56 pm

yep. you will be faster with the wheel. It will take practice practice practice. I am sure you have a year or more of controller use and minimal wheel use. So, looks like you got some serious wheel time coming.
Back to top Go down
http://forzascs.com/index.html
OLDFenderBender

OLDFenderBender

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Can't afford the wheel, let alone the space to store it. So I'm stuck with the controller.
Back to top Go down
o351

o351

PostSubject: re: old Microsoft wheel   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Just curious but what button is used for the clutch on the old wheel? I think I ended up going clutch-less and for this reason went back to the controller for FM3 due to the obvious time advantage of using a clutch....Also what do most of you use for seats (couch and Lazy-boy just suck for the microsoft wheel. Anybody have photos of their set-ups? Is the fantech wheel the recommended wheel used by most racers? I'm tired of bumping my left thumb-stick to get through the corners!
Back to top Go down
Luongo27

Luongo27

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:15 pm

i did the first two races with the controller last season then switched to my logitech wheel. It took about a race distance to get close to my controller times, but it's much more rewarding and you will get quicker with practice.
Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am seeing gradual improvement so hopefully by the first race I should be getting there. At least I wont have to deal with pain in my hands due to the claw grip I use for the controller.

Also I have my clutch on the B-button which isn't perfect but it's easier to reach than the A-button and here's my setup, it is exactly the same as my real life car!

Wheel or controller? 2011-10-30-20-32-04

(Ok maybe not exactly the same Razz) It's not exactly ideal but its the best I can manage.

Last edited by Panbot 3000 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Basticular

Basticular

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Wheel or controller? Nzn9y1
Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:59 pm

My setup just went into a corner to cry Razz

Although my wheel does have some yellow electrical tape as an off centre, centre marker if that counts for anything......no?
Back to top Go down
o351

o351

PostSubject: little off topic   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Was also wondering what views you guys use...I always seem to run my quickest laps with the hood (bonnet for you English racers) cam.
Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 pm

o351 wrote:
Was also wondering what views you guys use...I always seem to run my quickest laps with the hood (bonnet for you English racers) cam.

Same, I keep trying the cockpit view but I find it harder to see the apex and cars around me so in general it seems slower for me personally. Maybe if I had a bigger screen it would be different.

edit - Something else that I was thinking about is, are there any car settings that probably should be changed when using a wheel vs controller. I know the tune that gave me great times with a a controller just feels far too skittish and loose with the wheel and I needed to change quite a bit to make it feel remotely stable again, mostly toe/downforce/diff settings.
Back to top Go down
vV Science Vv

vV Science Vv

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:19 am

Shocks play a big role, the type of engine lay-out effects the rotation/turn in which will determine how much overall effort. The wheel is a lot more physical experience than a controler. Your leg and foot are working as hard as your hands.
Back to top Go down
monette92

monette92

PostSubject: re   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 am

awesome setup you have there Basticle, mine is more like panbot 3000, exept my engine sound is getting out by my guit amp right under my feet,
Wheel or controller? Img_0510
Wheel or controller? Img_0511
Back to top Go down
http://www.Gom-team.com
Claude Frollo

Claude Frollo

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Although I prefer the unfiltered wheel experience, I've always suspected that the controller provides a measurable advantage. Notwithstanding the electronic nannies enjoyed by the control users (e.g., non-linear steering, steering lock assist, etc.), you can complete a full 270 degree motion with a control stick a lot faster than one can humanly achieve with a steering wheel. A trained and steady thumb takes care of the rest since concessions have been made to compensate for the lack of precision. Since the heydays of GPL, this has been an ongoing debate on sim circles -- where the dominant racers were using flight stick to spank the rest of us.

Now, in terms of enjoyment and immersion, nothing beats the steering wheel.

BTW, I love those racing seats!

Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Well the latest development is that my wheel appears to be causing someone in the flat below or above (cant tell which) to bang on the roof/ceiling (and yes it was definitely because of the wheel, not something else Razz). If races were going on at 5pm for me I really wouldn't care but they tend to go on until 3-4am which seems a bit unfair if people have exams/early lectures.

Now as Claude mentioned I feel like a bit of a cheat using the controller because of all the "hidden" assists so feel free to give me a PI hit to reflect this.

(Ironically I was testing the F40 at the time and I was loving the car with the wheel and running consistent 2:06s which is as good as I can manage with the controller in the same car Sad )
Back to top Go down
Luongo27

Luongo27

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 pm

how hard are you stamping?, could put something soft underneath it?
Back to top Go down
Sir Panbot

Sir Panbot

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm

I think its more the force feedback/vibration than anything as I can hear when the person in the room above types on a keyboard, turns on their ps3/xbox or opens a drawer so I can only imagine what my wheel sounds like. Suppose I could try putting some cushions under it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel or controller?   Wheel or controller? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel or controller?
Page 1 of 1